New Flexibility plus Enhanced User Experience
We all know that sometimes 404 Errors happen on our sites. And sometimes users search but get no results. I believe it’s better to serve users some highly customized and maintained pages/content areas for these cases. What better to do that with Widgets in WordPress? — In my opinion Genesis Framework could improve here so that’s why I just made this little plugin to FINALLY have these two cases maintainable EASILY via your widgets admin. Just place in a search widget, your last blog posts, an image widget, some explanation via text widget, some galleries… You got it. The possibilities are endless. Finally.
A great helper tool for Genesis Child Themes!
Please note: The plugin requires the Genesis Theme Framework, a paid premium product released by StudioPress/ Copyblogger Media LLC (via studiopress.com).
Advantages & Benefits
- Helps users stay longer on your site because you can give options like search form, recent posts, introductory text, image(s) etc.
- Hugely improved user experience! (Helps decrease the “Oops, I broke the internet…” experiences…)
- Easily customizeable for any webmaster!
- Works across Genesis child themes – so you can switch your “skin” but not loosing this tool 🙂
- Provides extra Search Form Widget with more options than the default WordPress core widget.
- Handy search form Shortcode!
- Ideal for multilingual websites (for example with “WPML”): Much better handling of 404/Not found content for different languages. — See bottom of FAQ section here for more info on that.
- Small & lightweight plugin tool: Just activate plugin, place your widgets and you’re done!
- Adds a new widget area (Sidebar) for the “404 Error Page”
- Adds a new widget area (Sidebar) for the “Search not found” page (if there no results on search)
- Adds a new Search Form Widget – which gives you more options than the default WordPress “Search” widget! (Search text, Submit text etc.)
- Adds 2 Shortcodes: a customizeable Search form to place anywhere Shortcodes are supported, plus Shortcode for this plugin’s widget areas.
- Special Bonus for bbPress 2.3+: make the forum search not found content/status widgetized – take full control!
- Adds a few CSS styles for the content area to properly divide widgets with some more space (all other styling is recommended via your child theme)
- Included are two handy helper functions (via child theme) for applying the Genesis ‘Full-Width’ layout option for one or both ‘not found’ cases! — See the FAQ section for more info on that!
- For developers & advanced users: plugin provides lots of filter and acton hooks throughout for easy customization if ever needed.
- All markup is fully compatible with Genesis 2.0+, that means for HTML5 if the child theme supports it (is done all automatically & conditionally under the surface!).
- Integrated default Genesis filters
genesis_search_button_textfor default strings :-).
- Fully internationalized! Real-life tested and developed with international users in mind!
- Fully WPML compatible!
- Fully Multisite compatible, you can also network-enable it if ever needed (per site use is recommended).
- Tested with WordPress versions 3.4 branch (plus former 3.3 branch) – also in debug mode (no stuff there, ok? 🙂
- English (default) – always included
- German (de_DE) – always included
- Spanish (es_ES) – user-submitted – currently 37% complete for v1.5.0
- .pot file (
genesis-widgetized-notfound.pot) for translators is also always included 🙂
- Easy plugin translation platform with GlotPress tool: Translate “Genesis Widgetized Not Found & 404″…
- Your translation? – Just send it in
- I am open for your suggestions and feedback – Thank you for using or trying out one of my plugins!
- Drop me a line @deckerweb on Twitter
- Follow me on my Facebook page
- Or follow me on +David Decker on Google Plus 😉
- Also see my other plugins or see my WordPress.org profile page
- Tip: GenesisFinder – Find then create. Your Genesis Framework Search Engine.
- Hey, come & join the Genesis Community on Google+ 🙂
Genesis Widgetized Not Found & 404: two additional Widget areas/ sidebars – here with some example widgets placed in… (Click here for larger version of screenshot)
Genesis Widgetized Not Found & 404: the plugin in action on a live site – displaying here the “Search not found” case – three widgets placed in (Text widget, Search Form widget, recent Posts widget). (Click here for larger version of screenshot)
Genesis Widgetized Not Found & 404: plugin’s own search widget called “Genesis – Search Form” with way more options than the WordPress core search widget! (Click here for larger version of screenshot)
Genesis Widgetized Not Found & 404: plugin’s optional Shortcodes in action for a post. (Click here for larger version of screenshot)
Genesis Widgetized Not Found & 404: plugin’s help tab. (Click here for larger version of screenshot)