As a content marketer you create content for:
- a buyer persona (aka customer avatar),
- at stage of your marketing funnel (ex. Awareness, Consideration, Decision, Retention etc.), and
- in a format that appeals to the persona (ex. Article, Infographic, Podcast, Video, Ebook etc.)
By default Google Analytics Content Reports show you interaction data on all your pages. What it doesn’t show you is interaction data by persona, funnel stage or content format.
The Google Analytics for Content Marketers plugin solves this problem.
How does it work?
With the Google Analytics for Content Marketers plugin you can classify your posts and pages by persona, funnel stage and content format.
When a post or page is visited, this classification data is mapped on to a Content Group in Google Analytics.
With this data, you can now see interaction data by persona, funnel stage or content format.
How to setup the plugin?
Step#1: Google Analytics Setup
In ‘Admin > View > Content Grouping’ (immediately below Goals), create the following content groups (screenshot-3.png).
- Persona (Index: 1)
- Funnel Stage (Index: 2)
- Content Format (Index: 3)
For each of the above content groups, ‘Enable tracking Code’ and set the index as given above (screenshot-4.png).
Step#2: Plugin setup
- Install the plugin.
- In ‘Settings > Google Analytics for Content Marketers’ save your Google Analytics ‘Tracking ID’ and configure other plugin options as needed (screenshot-1.png).
- When adding or editing, you can now classify your post or page by persona, funnel stage and content format using the ‘Content Groups’ meta box (screenshot-2.png).
How to view the reports?
- In Google Analytics, go to ‘Behavior > Site Content > All Pages’.
- Select a content grouping as your primary dimension. (screenshot-5.png)
- See the magic.
Classify posts and pages by persona, funnel stage and content format
Create a Google Analytics ‘Content Group’
All Google Analytics Content Groups
How to view report in Google Analytics?