Table of Contents Creator (TOCC) automatically generates a highly customizable dynamic site wide table of contents that is always up-to-date. All entries are navigable making your site very SEO friendly. TOCC can be configured to display static pages, blog entries and forum comments. Another great feature of TOCC is the ability to include anchor tags marked with a special class. This feature allows links to articles, downloads or even other sites to appear within the table of contents as if they are part of your site’s navigation.
To generate a table of contents, simply include the
<!-- toc-creator --> tag on any page, or use the handy page creation feature located on the plugin admin page.
Note that the table of contents is automatically generated every time it is displayed and as such it is always up to date! New comments, pages, blogs and blog categories will automatically appear as soon as they are created.
Version 1.6 is now faster, uses less memory, is more robust and above all is extremely flexible. New features may now be added in a future release with minimal risk. Please refer to the change log for further details.
The following new features have been added. This release is all about giving more control to your visitors…
- Hierarchial categories are now supported.
- Child elements can now be dynamically expanded or collapsed by a vistor.
- The table of contents can now be dynamically sorted in several different orders by a visitor.
- All summaries can be dynamically shown or hidden by a visitor.
- Page help is now available to users by clicking the help icon.
- Add option to only show sub pages of the current page within the TOC. This will be handy for using the sidebar widget as a dynamic menu.
- Add option for maximum number of links per page (split list over multiple pages) – toc pagination.
- Allow sort by user defined tag.
- Allow text instead of icons for summary (eg
hide) if no icon summary selected.
- Integrate FAQs and preprocessor help with the WordPress Help system (the help pulldown on the settings page).
An example table of contents split into separate lists using the professional icon theme.
An example table of contents with help, square icon theme and drop down menu shown.
An example table of contents without icons, shown as a single list, no expansion, no summary, expandable help icon and no options menu.
An example table of contents using the haddrawn icon theme, no dates or author and category summaries only.
An snippet of the configuration page. Additional help is displayed by clicking on the option title. Note that there are literally dozens of configuration options used to tweak TOCC to match the style and look of any blog. TOCC is however configured with default options that will suit the needs of most users.